How To Make Lilac Sugar

Image
This blog post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small percentage of the sale if you choose to purchase something from the links at no extra cost to you. This is because  Mama Needs Money, Too! This seemed like such an easy AND pretty DIY that I had to make it for myself! Though I didn’t take as many pictures as I normally would, the process is pretty self explanatory. First pick your lilacs! I found this wasp hanging out in the flowers in my basket while I was picking them. She was very photogenic and agreed to leave me alone while I collected my flowers, so long as I also left her alone too. I collected enough bunches to make at least a cup of just the flowers, no steam or leaves.  Time to separate the flowers! You want to make sure you keep any green bits out of this mix as they can have a bitter taste.  Layer it up! Now all you have to do is put a layer of sugar on the bottom of your jar, then pile a layer of your lilac flowers on top of that. Once you h

How I Made A Kokedama

This blog post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may receive a small percentage of the sale if you choose to purchase something from the links at no extra cost to you. This is because Mama Needs Money, Too!




https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Xo38OGaCfWFxZqeQCcTqV13IG46CZra5

I’ve been seeing this trend all over TikTok and I just had to jump onto it for myself. These cool looking guys are plants without a pot, originating from Japan. Just hanging out in some moss, who could ask for a better life?

I’ll walk you through how I made mine, and maybe inspire you to make one (or more) for yourself!



https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1h_NPF0nw9Nf5UqAPgVdqr1L6ZLO5p88P




Let’s go!



First off,


I decided on a plant. This philodendron birkin has been needing a repot, as you can see it’s trying to climb out the top!

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1OhtjEAeHOutk8pNJS1F2vqIYRHzzvCa-





Next, I got started on making a ball


I’m not sure if traditional kokedama’s are normally made with different soil or not, but I just made mine with regular potting soil with some perlite added. I then added water so I could mold it into a ball to get the plants new home started. 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=15NuvJ2Q_eRG2uT_-eiRIZEp_dH3oQ_jf




It turned out to be easier to take half the ball and place the plant in the middle and build up the soil around it.

 

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1Rwh5wJv7NW2u9cDpLZZvVfNNa7JiOQxc





Then we add moss!


I found it easiest to start a little pile of moss, I’m using orchid moss, and then placing my plant ball on top of it and start building and packing on the moss to the sides. I didn’t get a good picture of how I got it on the sides, but you can also watch my TikTok demonstration if you wanted to see more.





https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=17MYMzak3A81IqNlbO2iX6KYxePL4qFj2




And begin to wrap!

The whole process would have been easier if I had 3 or 4 hands instead of 2, but this part was particularly difficult.

While hanging on to the moss and the soil, wrap your creation in twine, I’ve also seen others use jute but I’m sure most types of thinner cord would work.

Try to leave yourself a tail to later tie the twine with itself after you are done wrapping. I just spun it around as tightly as I could and enough it was sturdy and didn’t have any dirt showing. Just moss and twine. I did end up layering some moss on top in some areas just to make sure the soil wouldn’t spill out. 



https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1QCkApdmz5YHRROpMQENU3wHWWA9d3GF9





And there you have it! If you plan ahead you can make the cord long enough to hang it, or just add more cord to do the same thing. Even set it amongst your other plants in your house. 



If you give this a try, tag me in your picture on Instagram! I’d love to see how you end up styling it and how it turns out for you!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Plants For The Beginner Green Thumb

How To Tell If Your Plant Needs Water

How To Make Lilac Sugar